• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

STD Question

Giog

Bluelighter
I had unprotected sex with my girlfriend. Consequence? My urethra now seems a little inflammed (the lips look bigger if you will) and I have this clear discharge that always seems to be at the tip of my penis. I believe this could be either gonorrhea or chlamydia.

Question? Everywhere online it says that they are both highly treatable with antibiotics, but that there is no home treatment. This both shocks and confuses me. What did people do before antibiotics? Why is my body not able to fight this bacterial infection? Does health insurance cover STD examinations? Could this not be an STD, but instead a prostate related issue?

I've had these symptoms for about a month. I should probably go get tested soonish.

Yes you should go to a doctor.

I'm just freaking out a bit because of time constraints. I can't go to the doctor right now unless they are open on saturday. On top of that, my stupid kaiser permanente insurance doesn't let me schedule an appointment till I get my password for their online services. That password is coming in 3-5 days. How much time do I have before this worsens? More or less? Should I be freaking out or is it okay if I go for example in a couple weeks?

If you're that concerned about it, go to an urgent care or other similar establishment.

You need to go to a doctor. If it's gonorrhea or chlamydia it's not the end of the world if it's untreated for a few weeks (except that it could feel unpleasant), but thing is you don't know if it's one of those or something else until you get tested. But yes, if it's one of those they're extremely easy to treat, you just take antibiotics for a few days. Seriously though, no need to panic but do go get tested asap :)

Every person I know complains about Kaiser, which I guess would be better than no insurance like me. They don't have live people that you can speak to, I mean what about people who don't have internet?
To answer the real question, get an appointment as soon as you can. Some STD's don't even show symptoms and you don't want to home treat if you don't know exactly what it is. Also your girlfriend needs to be tested too. Don't stress, you'll be ok.

STD treatment is covered by health insurance. The doctor will know best and be able to diagnose and treat you. I would go in and see what they say.

Go to a walk-in clinic asap.

And yes, before there were antibiotics, people died from diseases.

Went to Kaiser Urgent care tonight. Walked in, saw a doctor, got a urine and culture sample taken (including STD test), and a prescription for 100mg of doxycycline, twice daily. Simple enough. I hope STD tests come back negative. She suspects urethritis, basically UTI, which I also considered. Thanks for the help and suggestions and advice.

Total cost: ~ 28.00 USD
Total Time: ~ 2 hours

Good, you are getting some treatment and it didn't cost you much.
See what happens when you get your results back.
In the meantime, wear condoms. Wish you luck.

Good, you are getting some treatment and it didn't cost you much.
See what happens when you get your results back.
In the meantime, wear condoms. Wish you luck.

Right, but could it be that the lubricants in these condoms actually caused my urethritis?

I just went for an STD test, and even though I told the doc I'd had sex with a heroin user and asked about hepatitis, he told me the risk of trnsmission through vaginal sex is so low that it's only worth testing for if you know you've had sex with someone who has it. Likewise, HIV is not easily transmitted through vaginal sex, you only really need to worry about it if you're having anal sex or injecting drugs.

You're right it is very low risk especially HCV. But That's how I caught HIV. One time, no condom, vaginal sex. Still worth getting tested, no?

That's really unlucky, and yeah, obviously the cost of getting a test is paltry compared to the risk of contracting a disease. I'm just repeating what a doctor told me yesterday about the likelihood of contracting a bloode-borne infection.

You're right it is very low risk especially HCV. But That's how I caught HIV. One time, no condom, vaginal sex. Still worth getting tested, no?

Thats right! Always get get tested we should also be very cautious with sex and this may sound harsh but partners should also get tested before unprotected sex happens. This has always been my rule and it is better to be safe than sorry.

Yeah its was really unlucky (and stupid of me) and she seemed 'fine'. I am normally not one who takes risks in anything. . She seemed 'fine' very 'normal' - it just goes to show, just one time, a quickie and it wasn't very good anyway lol.

Money VS peace of mind.

Where I am healthcare is all free including tests and treatment. Are there not free or low cost clinics or what have you in your area?

Hopefully America will get that affordable health care thing the country has shut down over.

Good luck

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18700121

Last edited:
^I have also read some articles about one time unprotected sex and HIV transmission. I have read an article years back regarding a lady who also, had unprotected sex while she was on a trip and it was her first time to have intercourse. She tested positive when she had her blood tests done etc. Every information is either online or in books so we should be responsible for ourselves and practice safe sex all the time.

Yes I am lucky to be residing in Canada as it has one of the best healthcare systems.

What did people do before antibiotics?

They used strong antibiotics from the plant kingdom, especially berberines. Current laws forbid herbalists from advertising that they can cure gonorrhea and chlamydia, but the truth is that they can. Unfortunately, modern antibiotics have created resistant strains that even plants have a hard time addressing.

The main problem back then was detection. The sooner you know there's an infection, the more effective the treatment will be. Many people have no symptoms until they are already contagious. Chlamydia can be particularly hard to detect in some people without labs.

The other thing is that since plant medicines synergize with the immune system, they tend to work best in people who are not incredibly weak. If the person is weak then you have to add some tonics to make them stronger. Modern antibiotics neutralize and effectively replace the immune system which means it doesn't matter what the state of your immune system is, they will get it done.

Plant medicines may actually be necessary soon. We have a treatment resistant strain of syphilis here in the pacific northwest, which means it might not be long before we have chronic syphilis cases in the developed world again.

Why is my body not able to fight this bacterial infection?

It is, actually. If left alone chlamydia and gonorrhea will clear on their own, but it takes a long time (months to over a year). That's assuming you have a healthy immune system and no comorbid factors. In that time they will do permanent damage to the body in the process. Gonorrhea will spread elsewhere and cause other systemic infection signs, like boils, pustules, and if it gets into your eyes it can cause blindness.

The urinary tract is not an easy area for the body to fight infection in. Men have an advantage because the urethra is long so usually urine will clear out minor invasions. However, gonorrhea and chlamydia have evolved to be able to latch on more easily.

I've had these symptoms for about a month. I should probably go get tested soonish.

Gonorrhea doesn't usually show symptoms until 3 days or so after infection. If you had these symptoms the very next day then it might be a UTI. Anyway, you've been tested so I guess the answer will be known soon.

If these plant medicines are so effective, why were sexually transmitted diseases such a scourge before penicillin, and why has the pharmaceutical industry not used these lead compounds?